Sunday 28 September 2008

MotoGP 2008 Motegi Results
9/28/2008

Valentino Rossi captured his sixth MotoGP crown in style, with the 29-year-old taking the win at Motegi. Rossi was joined on the Japanese GP podium by his closest rivals in the championship, Ducati's Casey Stoner and Honda's Dani Pedrosa.

All Rossi needed was a rostrum finish to claim the eighth Grand Prix championship in his 12-year career (six titles in premier class). But this is Valentino Rossi, who recently passed Giacomo Agostini for most career wins in Grand Prix history. Why stop at 69, when an even 70 sounds so much better.

In the opening laps the front runners included the top qualifiers like Rossi's Fiat Yamaha teammate Jorge Lorenzo and Honda's Nicky Hayden, as well as Pedrosa and Stoner. Rossi turned the first lap in fifth but heated up along with his Bridgestone rubber, dispatching the riders one by one until he hunkered down behind Stoner - the man whose title he was about to seize.

"The lap times dropped off and when Valentino came past I couldn't keep up, " said Stoner going on to say of Rossi's successful campaign. "He's had an amazing season - he only made one mistake at Assen and the rest of the time he's been on the podium, winning races. He's a worthy champion - eight world titles show that - and I want to congratulate him for that."

Rossi cruised to the line aboard his Fiat Yamaha M1, delivering the Japanese marque a coveted home GP win along with the third world title Rossi aboard the M1.

"It's a great victory and a great achievement; I think it's at the same level as the first title in 2004 with Yamaha, maybe even better! This championship has been very long and hard and all of the team and all of Yamaha have worked very well, never giving up for one moment," said Rossi. "We have been able to put a great bike onto the track in all conditions and at all circuits, and this has allowed me to ride like this and to win so many races. I am very happy! The race was a great battle and I had to ride at 100%, like I have through all through the season! Pedrosa and Stoner today were very strong and it was fun to fight with them like this, I am happy that it was a good race for the fans. It was a fantastic feeling to take the title with a win, like I did in 2001 and 2004. I think this is the hardest I have ever had to work to w in a world championship and I have to say a huge thank you to Yamaha, my mechanics, the team and everyone involved for working this hard alongside me. Of course I also have to say a special thank you to Bridgestone, they have done a great job with the tires all season and the decision to be with them has been a big part of our success this season. We have lost for two years and I don't think I was the favorite this season, but we have shown that we are a great team and that we never give up. I am so happy that I have now won three titles with Yamaha because this is how many I won with my last team and I want Yamaha to have the same merit - I am a Yamaha rider and I feel different with Yamaha than with anyone else before - I hope we will have more together! Now I have to get used to being World Champion again!"

Pedrosa's third-place finish was hard fought, with fellow Spaniard Lorenzo hounding the Honda man during the final laps. The two riders actually touched on the final lap, with Pedrosa able to hold the advantage.

"My pit board told me Lorenzo was coming, I got 'plus zero', 'plus zero', 'plus zero'. I expected him to get faster because he was chasing me," said Pedrosa. "On the last lap he touched me but I was able to stay on the bike. My thanks to Honda and to Bridgestone and also congratulations to Valentino, he rode a great race."

Following Lorenzo was Hayden, the second-fastest of the Michelin riders at Motegi. Suzuki's Loris Capirossi took sixth, followed by former Rossi teammate Colin Edwards and Honda riders Shinya Nakano and Andrea Dovizioso. Kawasaki's John Hopkins rounded out the top 10.

The MotoGP paddock now ships off to Australia's Phillip Island circuit, where locals like Stoner and Chris Vermeulen with try and spoil Rossi's winning streak.

MotoGP Motegi Results
1. Valentino Rossi (ITA) Fiat Yamaha Team 43'9.599
2. Casey Stoner (AUS) Ducati Marlboro + 1.943
3. Dani Pedrosa (SPA) Repsol Honda + 4.866
4. Jorge Lorenzo (SPA) Fiat Yamaha Team + 6.165
5. Nicky Hayden (USA) Repsol Honda + 24.593
6. Loris Capirossi (ITA) Rizla Suzuki MotoGP + 25.685
7. Colin Edwards (USA) Tech 3 Yamaha + 25.918
8. Shinya Nakano (JPN) San Carlo Honda Gresini + 26.003
9. Andrea Dovizioso (ITA) JiR Team Scot MotoGP + 26.219
10. John Hopkins (USA) Kawasaki Racing + 37.131
11. James Toseland (GBR) Tech 3 Yamaha + 37.574
12. Randy De Puniet (FRA) LCR Honda MotoGP + 38.020
13. Marco Melandri (ITA) Ducati Marlboro + 39.768
14. Sylvain Guintoli (FRA) Alice Team + 45.846
15. Anthony West (AUS) Kawasaki Racing + 55.748
16. Toni Elias (SPA) Alice Team + 59.320
17. Alex De Angelis (RSM) San Carlo Honda Gresini + 1'12.398
DNF Chris Vermeulen (AUS) Rizla Suzuki 8 Lap

MotoGP Championship Points Standings
1. Valentino Rossi - 312
2. Casey Stoner - 220
3. Dani Pedrosa - 209
4. Jorge Lorenzo - 169
5. Andrea Dovizioso - 136
6. Colin Edwards - 118
7. Chris Vermeulen - 117
8. Nicky Hayden - 115
9. Loris Capirossi - 96
10. Shinya Nakano - 95

No comments: